Tuesday, August 26, 2008

S-sss-sssst-stutter

Our youngest, K, all of a sudden has started stuttering (or stammering, for those of you that know it by that name).

We first noticed it over the weekend, we're not entirely sure where it's coming from. It seems to happen when she's worked up over something ~ whether she's excited, upset, or whatever. Which is most of the time! It also happens when she's searching for a word.

Right now it's limited to the very first syllable in her phrase ~ once she gets rolling with the words, she's OK. But it doesn't seem to matter if it's a consonant or a vowel starting the first word ~ she hangs up on them equally. She screws up her face trying to force the word out, I guess. It has seemed to increase every day since Sunday, though.

Being a paranoid mommy, I surfed the internet today and found out that it's not an uncommon thing for some kids aged 2 - 5 to go through a stuttering phase as they are developing their language and oral skills, but to keep an eye on it and if it lasts more than 6 months to go have it checked out. Plus, I used to (infrequently) get hung up on words when I was younger (and actually still do occasionally), and I learned last night that my dad has some issues with it sometimes too. I never knew that! So, anyway, there is a possible genetic component in there too.

So we're watching it.....closely.

No comments: