Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Festive Home

This year, we're still learning our new house. And we have also learned about the apparent wind problems that knocked over my pot of poinsettias (fake) and ripped the wreath off the front door, depositing it rather rudely on the frozen flowerbed. So no outdoor shots, for now. I may post something later, but with my hectic schedule I'd hedge my bets on "no" rather than "yes".

We are going with simple this year. For a variety of reasons, one of which is that the season tends to get so hectic I like to come home to a little serenity.

We love going for a drive to look at Christmas decorations most years. Inflatable lawn decorations and enough lights on your roof to signal the astronauts are all very nice, and we do enjoy looking at them -- right across the street, actually -- but we're not personally going that route this year. If the kids make noise in subsequent years, I'll probably get out there, freeze my buns off, and mutter angrily at the frozen ground while I'm fighting the ever-present wind, trying desparately to stake something down -- but this is not that year.

The fireplace, with (edited) stockings -- names changed to protect the innocent and all that:



I love just piling some ornaments into a festive container, letting them fall as they may:



Tree, with dog. Don't you just love our "office" ceiling?



And without dog (or ambient lights):



My glass reindeer I acquired somewhere along the line. I never know where to put him. This year he's by the front door:



Doesn't every toilet need a reindeer to stand watch while you do your business?



More Christmas balls, on the counter. We have a tropical fish shower curtain (for the kids, who are into "Finding Nemo" and fish in general), and it's mostly blues and greens with some very vibrant-colored fish in the mix. Next year I think I'll look for some orange and blue ornaments to add, just because.



Santa's watching from the medicine cabinet to make sure you really wash your hands:



And finally, the kitchen, crowded countertop and all. I figured since the pasta container was empty anyway, it would be a perfect place for, yup, more ornaments. And the kids can't reach these:



And lastly, but not leastly, my kitchen windowsill was looking a bit bland, so I shoved some florist's tingting in a pot. It works. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: