Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Notice:

Hey, just a friendly notification that I don't use my kids' names on here, and I don't advertise exactly where I live either.

After I'd had my blog up for a while, I learned on the news about another mom who had a special needs child that had something unspeakable happen: a child predator read her blog, figured out where she lived, and knew exactly what her kid's name was, how old she was, and what her disabilities were -- I don't remember the details (I've probably blocked them out) but I immediately went into my blog, all the way back to the first post, and changed all names to initial only. This sounds like one of those eternally circulating urban legend e-mails, but this one was unfortunately very true.

Seeing as how A doesn't really talk or communicate well, and seeing as how he is a beautiful kid (as is his sister), and there are a lot of weirdos out there, I acted on the better part of safety.

Call me paranoid, whatever.

But yeah, I don't use my family's names here. I had to delete a recent comment because I couldn't just edit the one word (sorry Mel!) and figured I'd put up a post explaining why. I'm not being a complete wench, just a cautious momma.

1 comment:

Alex and Melody Our Story said...

Hey J,

no problem. bummer that there are people like that out there. Hope you had a good weekend with Z. Miss you guys!