Friday, May 14, 2010

Crazy

Crazy.

Anyone who knows me knows that I might have a slight tendency to be a tad on the (hopefully fun) crazy side. Occasionally, of course. I'm not up to the "runs with scissors" level, but still love to be with people and have a good time.

Anyone who knows me also knows I like to coordinate things so they flow together: outfits, my home decor, my (planned, in my head) garden space.

Guess what? Now my schedule matches the rest of me: it's crazy, too!

The good thing is, I'm always super busy at work so my days zip by in what seems like a blink of an eye. In fact, I am rarely even at my desk. I deposit files as I rush by, but have not had time to actually sit and work on any of them until today. My desk chair is so neglected...and my files were forming a manila folder and paperclip jungle in the confines of my office space. No worries about being attacked by a rogue stapler, though, the only wildlife I encounter on a regular basis are some of the clients. No, seriously; I'm glad we have guards -- they've already saved my bacon as recently as last week. Desperate times make for desperate people.

I had a rare treat today! I did absolutely zero interviews so I could (try to) catch up on my paperwork. Wielding my trusty keyboard and mouse, I powered through all the stacks and have a clean workspace for the first time in over a week. Clear-cutting through my paper forest did take its toll: the files eked out their revenge in the form of nasty papercuts. But the files are taken care of. Well, all but two -- I just couldn't get to them, even staying at work late for the fourth night in a row. Staying late is a cardinal sin at my office. We don't get paid over-time, and the work will still be there when we get back the next day. I know this, but I also know that peoples' lives are directly affected by whether or not I can get everything done or not.

"Normal" caseload is 3 or 4 cases a day, and three or four people (normally) rotate throughout the week so no one gets overloaded. Thanks to the economy (both increasing the clientele and decreasing the workers), things are no longer "normal". I've been doing all of the cases solo for 2 weeks straight -- and have over 70 active clients of my own (again, in just 2 weeks), plus I'm helping another girl with her caseload because she's out. I've been interviewing between 8 and 10 clients every day, some of which have to be denied. The denials help with managing it all, in that I don't have to track their file, make additions or phone calls, etc.; on the other hand, each denial has its own unique paperwork that must be done, so that adds to the workload in a different way.

This job is not for the faint of heart or anyone who wants to be rich monetarily. But if you like helping people, and don't care so much about the money aspect, this is a great job. I personally love it. Yes, it's stressful. Yes, there are some days I want to shake some sense into some of my clients. And yes, my heart absolutely breaks for other clients. But overall, I love what I'm doing.

I am helping a lot of people just make it right now, at a time when their options are few and difficult to choose between. I'm saving the world one weary soul at a time -- at least, that's how I look at it. Others would look at the workload involved, see the pay offered, and think I was crazy. But, of course, we've already established that I fall into that category.

No comments: