Monday, June 18, 2007

Adventures in Chicagoland

I had a terrific time two weeks ago in Chicago. I was able to witness (and take part in) nearly every form of art imaginable ~ including painting. The conference center we were at was doing a project for people in the Dominican Republic and wanted the attendees to paint a picture or abstraction of "hope" to send to them. All week, people added to the ginormous canvases that were prominently displayed in the main walkways.

I was able to meet people from 4 other countries (21 were represented, as well as all 50 U.S. states), and enjoyed seminars on everything from vocal artistry to dramatic arts. I also had a fantastic time listening to Dewitt Jones, who spent years as a photographer for National Geographic magazine, and also does work for private companies' advertising departments. It really struck me, while watching his pictures on the screen slide past my vision, that God has really blessed us. He is kind; as a creative God, he allowed this part of Himself to be included in us when we were formed in His image. He apparently felt that this was important enough to add to our beauty ~ I just wish that everyone understood the importance of arts. Since the age of enlightenment, when we (as humans) try to explain everything logically and scientifically, artists capture the mystery that is around us every day, often in surprising ways.

I am refueled and already working on 5 abstract designs for 5 different sets on a current dilemma, am writing some music that will be performed shortly, and am working on a theatrical program set for production at Christmas involving both adults and children. And in my spare time, collaging and scrapbooking ~ but not in the traditional way. See my link to Ali Edwards for the style I like. I haven't actually set scissor to photo since I've been back, with everything else going on.

Which reminds me:

Sorry it took so long to post, but we had to take Aunt H back to the airport, Z's mom has a heart condition that was very serious, and between therapies and K's MRI on Friday, and a music writing session with our group on Sunday I just haven't had much extra time to myself. Kids are in bed now, so I can finish this (I started to write this on the 18th, and today is the 26th....). I know; *wah*, right? ;) More to follow soon.

No comments: