Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Our Quest

Our family's quest, should you choose to read it, is simple: live a green(er) lifestyle.

Just on a lark, I figured I'd share some of the eco-conscious websites I frequent and have had saved under "my favorites" on our computer. They're under "Green Linkage" to the right. I take some things with a grain of salt (at times I just up-end the salt container), but it's usually an interesting read ~ at least for me. Some of it is downright amusing, and there are a lot of good ideas in there. Other ideas I classify under the... "interesting"... category, and are not endeavors I honestly see myself undertaking. But they're there for the reading!

Sustainability and a low eco-footprint are moving to the forefront of Z's and my mindsets, especially with the current whacko gas price bonanza going on and our already strained income. Also, we both feel strongly that we can do our part to help be good stewards of what God has given us, including the Earth.

We already (mostly) recycle, although at times it's proven to be inconvenient and we haven't, so we need to work on that I suppose! If we can grow at least some fruits and veggies for ourselves, or put the well-pump and hot water heater on a small-scale solar-powered system, that's great. Ultimately, we'd like to do most things solar if we can, just to reduce dependency on the grid (and the fossil fuels that power ours) ~ but that is going to take a lot of money and lots of years to save up for that project, even with the state incentives and rebate options that are out there. And sorry, I don't think we'll be putting in a rice paddy ~ we will still be going to a store for things like rice, flour, milk, etc!

Environmental toxins are one possible trigger for autism, and it's been known for a while that the additives to livestock and commercial crops do contribute to cancer and a host of other problems. I happen to love gardening, so we're going to give organically growing some of our own stuff a whirl. If nothing else, I will have absolutely fresh produce that is guaranteed chemical-free. I will also have the joy of watching it grow each day, and will be able to grow things that aren't generally in the grocery stores here.

We are not going to: freak out if we see someone throw away a recyclable object; join a commune; re-name ourselves after produce or weather phenomena (although I think I'd be a terrific "Artichoke" since I'm short and round. Just call me "Cho"); appreciate getting any "hippy dippy" references or other negative name-calling; or chain ourselves to trees and yell through a bullhorn. All of those things have their places, I'm sure, and we personally know and love people who fall into those categories ~ but we're going to do this eco-conscious stuff our own way, on our own terms.

We still drive "normal" gas-powered cars (albeit smaller ones), buy things that come in plastic packaging, and wear clothing made from synthetic materials. We will still occasionally order pizza or Chinese food that comes in non-Earth-friendly packaging, and watch television which is a horrible energy sucker. Likewise with the computer usage. Perhaps it's a good thing there isn't a Sonic Drive-in within 3 hours of here; I would create my own Styrofoam corner in the landfill each summer because I LOVE their cherry lime-ades! : )

All we're trying to do is reduce things a little here, a little there and be more conscious of how we do things. The end goal is to get to a point where we have little to no actual garbage, recycle or compost the rest, and be able to reduce grocery store costs by growing our own fruits and veggies. Solar power would be great, even if it was just a supplemental source.

Once we hit that point, then we'll consider where and how to go from there.

If the chemical-free stuff helps A and K be healthier, even if it really turns out it does nothing for the Earth, then it's all still worth it in my book.

No comments: