Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Num Yummy!

With the proliferation of tomatoes we've been given, I have been looking for some new ways to use them, other than making spaghetti sauce, making stuffed tomatoes, or using them for bruschetta, salads or on homemade pizza. Here's a winner!

Sweet Tomato Pie ~ uses a store-bought pie crust, a whole head of garlic, fresh basil, and Havarti cheese. Num num!

I'm still pulling tomatoes off every 2 or 3 days, 5 or 6 at a time. And there's plenty left to ripen. We're supposed to get up into the 70's again during the days towards the end of the week and starting off the next week, so we'll have plenty of time to ripen up even more.

I also found my first tomato horn worm of the year this morning, my plants have been remarkably free of pests the whole season. I have only lost two tomatoes to something eating them, and I think one was due to the groundhog that resides under the deck. Mr. (fat! enormous!) Caterpillar has gone to that great plant in the sky, and if he has any relatives lurking they are about to receive the brunt of my latent mercenary skills too. I have been well trained in the "way of the shoe". : )

No comments: