Tuesday, April 14, 2009

New Joys

New home, new joys.

A uses the toilet every morning now -- and is usually dry when he does so. A has also started taking the initiative to go to the bathroom when he's done a #2 (or is about to) and tries to wipe his own butt. Mommy still has to help with the final details, but this is awesome.

I'd probably do a victory dance, but I look like a grasshopper in a blender when I do anything other than classical ballet (and I'm nowhere near flexible enough to do that any more), so I generally refrain. (Arms and legs are everywhere, and it's not pretty). I do still have what my kids I used to work with called my "happy dance" -- more of an involuntary hopping, stamping kind of deal while clapping my hands or waving my fists. It does bring much amusement to Z when he sees it. And any other innocent bystanders. But I digress.

I had a meeting with the special ed board at A's school today, regarding next year. They are fully confident that A can handle being in a "typical" mainstream kindergarten classroom, so we filled out all the paperwork, etc. to get him all set up. He will also have ESY (Extended School Year) services this summer. A is enjoying school. For the most part. He still isn't too sure about that whole "rest time" phenomenon.

A has also discovered the joy of baseball! Sort of. He recently received one of those little cheap-o "tee" things that's spring loaded. You put a plastic ball on the top platform, and push it down. You can hear the gears winding down before it pops the ball up in the air, so you can try to hit it. (It sounds like a windup toy). A doesn't always make contact with the ball -- but he does sometimes. Other times he's just lazy and tries to whack it while it's still sitting on the "tee", while he shoots a grin in my direction letting me know that he knows exactly what he's doing. But this is definitely a new development, and one I'm keen to nurture.

Another recent joy for A is the discovery of the Muppets. A just loves to watch Kermit and the rest of the gang. We have "Kermit's Swamp Years" and "Muppets From Space" -- and both have gotten a lot of screen time in the last two weeks. It's interesting to see A flat out enjoying something -- with his emotions plain as day on his face. That has not always happened. It's also interesting to realize that A "gets" a lot of the humor, even though some of it is more mature or adult in nature. (And no, I don't mean "adult film industry". Duh.)

And a new joy for me: A has surprised me by offering up words of affection, unprompted. What usually happens is I'll give him a hug, or be snuggling with him on the couch, and say, "I love you, buddy." To which he'll respond in kind. But for A to offer and show affection unsolicited is a wonderful thing indeed. "I love you mommy" is one of the most wonderful sound bites on this great green earth. I think the rarity of A initiating it makes it all the more precious.

1 comment:

Laura said...

aw, what a sweet post. and funny, too. I love reading along with your blog!