Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fancy Feast -- Pumpkin Muffins

My daughter requested a tea party breakfast a couple of nights ago, to which I absently replied, "Sure! No problem!" before I really thought about it.

I completely forgot about her request until I'd put her brother on the bus yesterday morning. I was cruising around the kitchen trying to figure out if I wanted to make something or just do cereal for breakfast when her request ricocheted from somewhere in the depths of my brain.

Luckily, at this age she's also pretty easy to please. I found a can of pumpkin hiding in the pantry (you have to watch those rogue cans, you know) and decided I would make these delectable "nuffins". They are great for sneaking in some beta carotene and fiber in your kids' (or your) diet.

Pumpkin Muffins
--------------------------------------
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 T cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup plain unspiced pumpkin (1 regular-sized can)
3/4 cups veg oil
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 18 muffin cups.

In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients well. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, add pumpkin and oil, stirring to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients until everything is just moistened and incorporated. Do not over mix!! Add raisins, stirring just to combine.

Fill 18 muffin cups 3/4 full (you can also do 12 muffins and 2 mini loaf pans with this recipe). Sprinkle tops with cinnamon and sugar. I keep some on hand in a shaker and use it on toast, but in case you don't, here's a nice ratio:

2 T sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.

Here's something that I do that helps when filling muffin cups: I use the small gravy ladle that comes with your "serving" set from your flatware. Note that this is NOT a standard ladle, generally used for soups or drinks. Using the (small) gravy ladle means less drips and mess than using a straight spoon, and one ladle-full is generally just right per muffin cup.
*******************************************************

Be sure to note the obnoxious rings around my burners. I have not found a cleaner yet that will take them completely off, and I can't use abrasives on my ceramic cooktop. So here they are, for your viewing pleasure. Hey, just keepin' it real.

Miss K loved her fancy "tea" party for breakfast. She opted for the royal hot chocolate with marshmallows instead of tea but that's OK. Aren't princesses allowed some concessions every now and then? We noshed with a tiara (of course), blanket spread on the floor like a "picnic", and an artful display of toy food from K's play kitchen, lovingly arranged by K herself.

I did question the plastic food replicas, but was informed in no uncertain terms that they needed to be there. Apparently I'm too gauche to know that play food is a required presence for all fancy tea party breakfasts. I really need to learn current hostessing etiquette...

No comments: