Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sticker Shock and The Incredible Hulk

My son had his doctor's visit today, both to re-authorize his OT and ABA treatments with his insurance coverage (which hopefully will be a swift proceeding), and to get his booster shots. Because he is involved with the public school system, the administration preferred him to get them NOW rather than wait until he's six. Which is understandable, I suppose.

The problem is, most kids don't remember getting shots, as the last ones they had were before the age of two. Because of all the tests they had to run on A, however, he most definitely remembers "stickers" (needles) and doesn't like being stuck by them.

Daddy took him in this morning, because A is so big I can't easily pin him down any more, and I have extreme difficulty handling both A and his sister at the same time, if he's at the doctor's office at all (let alone if he has to get stuck). If big brother is upset, then K's howls soon rival (and possibly surpass) her brother's. Eschk.

So he got four shots, two on each leg. Since two of the shots contained live viruses, we kept him home so he can get a nap in this afternoon.

I do have to let you know that A totally pulled an "Incredible Hulk" on the nurse that stuck him, though. It took all Z had to keep him pinned so she could do the vaccinations, and after it was all done she handed A a DumDums lollipop. He was so upset, he ripped the wrapper off, made a cross between a yell and a growl, and bit the entire head off the stick, shattering the candy. He very nicely handed the stick back to the lady as he crunched on the remnants still in his mouth, and the nurse seemed more than a bit taken aback. Daddy made the Hulk comment, and I guess it's true....don't make him angry!

So now we wait on our insurance company to notify us of our approval to continue his treatments...

1 comment:

boysrulemama said...

Reading about your "journey" gave me a momentary break from the heartache of my own. I am grateful to live in a state where I can say "no" to shots for schools. I am grateful for the rays of light I too get to see beyond the storming clouds of autism. I am grateful for each new word, each new accomplishment, each new step toward the goal of recovery. I hope, for both our sons, for both our families, we all get there. Thank you and God Bless!