Monday, April 14, 2008

Under Where?

This is a request for knowledge, however small that tidbit may be, of where to find washable, reusable absorbent underwear that will fit our son. This is not the normal boys' briefs, just to be clear, but these are special ones that can absorb almost any amount of urine or fecal material my son cares to deposit in them.

With the prices of everything (including his therapies) rising, the price of his disposable pants is getting a bit prohibitive (and the bigger he gets, the harder they are to find in his size). I realize that the rising prices are likely due in no small part to the concurrent rise in gas prices; the items have to get to the store somehow, and it costs more to ship things now. But that knowledge doesn't make shelling out the extra money to keep my son's rear upholstered (and the furniture protected) any easier. His younger sister uses the cotton training pants and vinyl pants to cover them when we're at home; I figured that finding some in my son's size wouldn't be a big deal, given the sheer number of special needs kids worldwide. Surely they would have something like that readily available, right?

Alas, I seem to be sadly mistaken. The other moms that share the waiting rooms at A's therapies have no idea where to find such things. They all use the disposable pants. I have spent FIVE HOURS just today surfing the internet to ferret out a source for the elusive reusable youth undies, especially made for un-potty-trained kids over the age of 3. I have tried searching countless combinations of words, with the same results no matter what combination I enter.

Most sites that are spit out by various search engines lead me to non-related sites, or if I was actually linked to the desired type of underwear it was adult-sized briefs, or disposable youth undies only. The latter were being sold in bulk, so in theory that is a bit more economical, but I'd still rather do the wash and dry thing since it looks like we're going to be un-potty-trained for another bit. I already wash and dry his sibling's pants, and it's not too much different than using cloth diapers. There's just more stuff to clean out of them the bigger my son gets. Wash 'em and hang them outside in the sunshine to dry, and they're just fine.

I'm not having much luck, but I'm going to continue the hunt. If I find a good place, I'll post it in the linkage section. Here and here are the only two places I can find anything in A's size. Is there a location I can buy, say, 10 pairs at a discount that anyone knows of? If I have to pay $20 for each pair, then we'll just suck it up and do it, even if we have to spread it out over a few months. Eschk.

But, having said that, if anyone knows a cheaper source and is willing to share, I'd be more than happy to scout that out too! : )

2 comments:

Alex and Melody Our Story said...

Hey Jenn,

No advice on underwear, sorry. Just wanted to say hi, thanks for hosting a nice get together at your house last night.

Anonymous said...

* Happy Heinys Pocket Trainers available through many online retailers. About $14-15 each plus a stuffer to put in the pocket.
http://www.happyheinys.com/diaper_care.php#scharts

Snap-EZ NAP-EZ (pocket) or AIO Trainer. About $18-21 each (plus stuffer for NAP-EZ).
http://www.snap-ez.com/InfoTrainers.html