Sunday, March 11, 2007

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Ah, sibling rivalry....where would we be without it? We were watching a Baby Einstein video this afternoon, "Neighborhood Animals", and I was telling the kids what each animal was, describing it, etc ("Oooh! That's a pink pig! Oink, oink! Pig!"). K is trying to repeat what I'm saying, while A sits back and watches her and I interact. He starts to get a vexed expression on his face.

So he moves from sitting beside me on the couch to trying to put his face in mine, and starts trying to say the words too, shooting triumphant looks at his sister like "Ha ha, see, I can do it too". There might be a "nyah nyah-nyah nyah nyah" in there as well....

So of course K has to try to repeat ALL the words she is hearing, garbling phrases in her 11-month old way. And A has to do the same. But it is a motivator, and that is just fine with me. This is the first time he's done this, so we'll see if we can get consistency. Here's hoping....

No comments: